Setting up multi-factor authentication (2FA)
The Federal Government's Digital Service Provider (DSP) Operational Security Framework requirements are designed to reduce the risk of identity theft, tax fraud and unauthorised system access. The process involves a series of controls to protect the confidentiality and integrity of client data.
At Smarter SMSF, we take the security of our systems and privacy of your personal information very seriously. We are implementing further steps to ensure processes are in place to make sure your data and online transactions with us are secure and safe.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is the simplest, most effective way to make sure users really are who they say they are. We are adding the 2FA process when accessing the Smarter SMSF Platform.
Download the setup guide (PDF)
Setting up 2FA
To setup and maintain your 2FA settings, login to the Smarter SMSF Document Platform, and follow these instructions:
1. Go to the Smarter SMSF website: https://smartersmsf.com/, from the top menu select 'Login' and then 'Platform Login’.
2. Enter your login details and click on the 'Log in' button.
Two-methods available for setting up your 2FA
There are two methods available for establishing 2FA.
- A one-time code generated with the Google authenticator app
- A one-time code sent to you via your email
Method #1 - A one-time code generated with the Google authenticator ap
1. Select the radio spot One-time code generated with the Google authenticator app (most reliable and secure)
2. Click the ‘Next Step’ button.
3. Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store on your mobile phone (NB. you can also access via various browsers - e.g. Chrome)
4. Search for the Google Authenticator app.
5. Select 'Install' and Open the app.
Setting up the Authenticator
6. Scan the QR code on your screen, this is the QR code located within the setup 2FA method.
7. Acknowledgement of an account has been added, along with a new code generated is displayed.
NOTE: The code will re-generate, so there isn’t a need to write the code down or remember it.
The screen below is a summary of the steps you have taken so far.
8. You are now ready to click the ‘Next Step’ button.
You can enter in the one-time code from your Google Authenticator app to finalise the setup.
9. Enter the Authentication Code’ and click the ‘Validate & Save Configuration' button.
10. You may wish to store the backup codes externally, otherwise select the ‘I’ll generate them later’ button.
You have now returned to the 2FA Settings, within your ’My Account’.
11. To effect the 2FA you have chosen, login via https://app.smartersmsf.com.
12. Enter your login details and click on the 'Log In' button, or use the Login with Google.
13. Refer to your Google Authenticator app to view your code
14. Enter the Authentication Code and click on the 'Authenticate' button.
You do have the ability for the system to remember the code (one time) and provide you with access to this device for 24 hours.
Method 2 - A one-time code sent to you via your email
1. Select the radio spot One-time code sent to you over email.
2. Click the ‘Next Step’ button.
3. Use your default email address that you use to access the Smarter SMSF platform
4. Select the radio button 'Use my user email' (email@example.com)
5. Click the ‘Next Step' button.
An email containing your login confirmation code will be sent to your email inbox.
6. Enter the ‘one-time authentication code’.
7. Click the ‘Validate & Save Configuration’ button.
8. You may wish to store the backup codes externally, otherwise select the ‘I’ll generate them later’ button.
You have now returned to the 2FA Settings, within your My Account. These are your administration options to Setup the 2FA Method, Remove 2FA or Generate backup Codes.
9. To effect the 2FA you have chosen, login via https://app.smartersmsf.com.
An email containing your login confirmation code will be sent to your email inbox for you.
10. Enter the email Verification Code.
Got any questions, or having any problems setting up 2FA?
If you need any support regarding the setup and management of your 2FA settings, you can get in contact with us in any of the following ways:
- By telephone on 1300 95 94 76
- By email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (NB. this will log a ticket to deal with your enquiry)