What's New - May 2021
What's new & updated on the Smarter SMSF platform
- Investment Strategy Report - A new version of the investment strategy template has added. There are no changes to the existing content within the document, the templates have been updated to improve the word version (.docx) export available for members (document subscription) only. You can view the updated sample document here. The supporting investment strategy trustee minutes have also been updated to included a section for you to select the chairperson from the list of trustees/directors, rather than it defaulting to the first trustee/director.
- Chairperson field - changes have been made to the following document templates to allow you to choose the chairperson from the drop-menu of trustees/directors to populate the trustee minute:
- Lump Sum
- Partial Commutation
- TRIS to Retirement Phase
- Downsizer contribution
- Work test & work test exemption
- Winding up a SMSF
- Add or remove a reversionary beneficiary
- Add or remove a member
- The SMSF Tax Planning webinar recording has been uploaded into the 'webinars' section on the Smarter SMSF platform for members to watch at any time. This webinar was recorded on Wednesday, 5 May 2021, and presented by Aaron Dunn.
- The Super unpacked webinar recording has been uploaded into the 'webinars' section on the Smarter SMSF platform for members to watch at any time. This webinar was recorded on Friday, 30 April 2021 and was presented by Kath Bowler (HN Law) and Aaron Dunn.
- The SMSF Tax Planning 2021 checklist is available for CPD members to download from the 'Resources' tab (see screenshot below). The checklist provides over 30 pages of tips, traps, ideas and strategies with your SMSF clients in the lead up to 30 June 2021
- We have resolved the issue on the completed orders page where the 'actions' navigation on company orders was not showing fully on the screen. This will now drop below, rather than to the right.
- You can now filter on the completed orders page by Order ID, reference, entity name, document type, date and order status. This allows you to more easily find documents within your completed orders. Simply click on the arrows within each column to sort by ascending or descending:
- Multi-factor authentication (2FA) is now available for the Smarter SMSF platform, but won't be compulsory for users until development has concluded with our parent/child functionality for ordering of documents. You can read the article here about how to setup 2FA access
- We have temporarily turned off the charts on the main dashboard due to it impacting the initial login speed onto the platform. These will be turned back shortly once this issue has been resolved.
Smart things we are currently working on
- Alternate email address field - Users will shortly be able to add an alternate email address for the delivery of orders on the Smarter SMSF platform. This email field will be added onto the review page on the order, and where an email address is added into this field, the order will be send to both the registered users address and the alternate email address that is added. The alternate email address will be added to many of our most popular documents, but will be initially tested with a number of members on the pension commencement form.
- ASIC company search validation - users will shortly be able to validate proposed company names at the start of the company incorporation and special purpose company incorporation forms. Using the ASIC API, this will save users significant time in having to look up the availability of company names before commencing the order, or needing to make changes due to already used (or banned) company names.
- Updated completed orders page - we are revamping the completed orders page to provide better functionality and search capability over all completed orders.
- Stored credit card - Work continues by the team on being able to make payment via a stored credit card for many of our most popular documents. This feature will be available for members (for company registration orders) and for non-members who wish to save time in the ordering process by simply applying the card stored against your user profile. Refer to our previous article on how to add or update credit details on the platform.
- A new Change of Trustee order form is currently being added that will provide for a number of changes in a fund's trustee structure, including:
- Individuals to corporate trustee
- Corporate trustee to individual trustees
- Company to Company
- Replacing individual trustees
- Appointing a new individual trustee only
- Removing an individual trustee only
A separate order form and documents are available to order a deed for the change of trustee - death of a member.
- Work had previously commenced on a new SMSF and trustee company order form, which ultimately stalled during COVID-19 due to various other projects. The team is now moving back onto this task to finalise in the coming months and will also include the ability to request binding or standard death benefit nominations, along with access to an SMSF compliance pack - includes trustee minutes for making initial rollovers, contributions, etc.
- Module 7 of the SMSF foundations course will be available via the Smarter SMSF platform from 12 May 2021. This module, SMSF Estate Planning, is 2.5 CPD hours, which takes the total course to a total of 21 CPD hours. From the week starting 17 May 2021, we expect to have the module added onto the BGL Learning Channel, along with the TOA Academy and Momentum Media (i.e. SMSF Adviser, Accountants Daily). A screenshot of Module 7 is included below: